Key Events in 2013
- We launched new Internet packages and an option to choose shorter-term agreements with offers including purchase of a laptop or a tablet.
- TV Biznes changed its name to Polsat Biznes and has since followed a new formula.
- Our LTE service coverage was extended to more than 50% of Poland’s population, that is nearly 20 million Poles. At the same time, 93% of Poland’s residents could use our modern HSPA/HSPA+ Internet access services.
- We broadcast one of the year’s greatest TV events – the ‘Polsat Boxing Night’. During the fight held on February 23rd 2013, two legendary heavyweight champions, Andrzej Gołota and Przemysław Saleta, met to square off against each other. Over 120 thousand people purchased live access to the show via satellite or through the IPLA online television using the pay-per-view service.
- The Polsat Group signed a conditional agreement to sell RS TV to EmiTel Sp. z o.o., and Telewizja Polsat entered into a conditional agreement to purchase Polskie Media S.A., the broadcaster of the TV4 and TV6 channels.
- Telewizja Polsat presented its new schedule which, besides new series, included well-known TV formats such as ‘Przyjaciółki’, ‘Na krawędzi’, ‘Świat według Kiepskich’, ‘Hotel 52′, ‘Zdrady’, ‘Trudne sprawy’, ‘Pamiętniki z wakacji’, ‘Must be the Music. Tylko muzyka’ or ‘Got to Dance. Tylko taniec’.
- In cooperation with Viasat Broadcasting, Telewizja Polsat launched three new channels under the Polsat brand: Polsat Viasat History, Polsat Viasat Explorer (currently Polsat Viasat Explore), and Polsat Viasat Nature.
- Universal Channel HD was added to our offering, this way making its entry into the Polish market.
- New promotions were launched for Internet services: Plan ZERO – dedicated to subscribers who want to occasionally use mobile Internet on attractive terms, and Ekstra SIM – a service enabling subscribers to simultaneously access content with more than one device for a single subscription fee.
- More new channels added: 13th Street Universal, owned by Universal Networks International (UNI), and TLC HD, owned by Discovery Communications.
- We launched a new promotional offer, making available Premium HBO HD and Cinemax HD packages in a bundle with the Familijny Max HD package for PLN 79.90 a month, and with up to three months for free.
- We added another two thematic channels, including an entertainment channel TVP Rozrywka and TV Republika, featuring news and commentary.
- IPLA ranked first among VOD platforms, based on the published results of a survey by Megapanel PBI/Gemius for March 2013.
- Our television offering was supplemented with an additional package that bundles HBO HD and HBO GO, i.e. all the HBO brand services we offer, whether via set-top boxes or online.
- As part of the pay-per-view service available via satellite or via the IPLA TV, we offered access to a professional boxing event ‘The One Will Stand’, held at Moscow’s Crocus City Hall, during which Polish heavyweight champion Andrzej Wawrzyk and the category world champion Alexandr Povietkin representing Russia fought for the WBA’s world heavyweight champion title.
- We entered into cooperation with the Monolith Films studio to provide Cyfrowy Polsat’s VOD and IPLA online TV service users with access to the latest global blockbusters soon after their premiere screenings in American cinemas and before their DVD premiere in Poland. In addition, IPLA entered into cooperation with film distributor 9th Plan, and broadened its offering of titles from Galapagos Films.
- We extended our portfolio of supported Internet devices to include the Huawei MediaPad 10 tablet, featuring an in-built LTE modem with data transmission capacity of up to 150 Mbps, and the B593u Huawei router with an in-built LTE modem.
- A new promotion of our online services – Multimedialna 2w1, gave our subscribers the possibility of using the services via two SIM cards for a single subscription fee and as part of a single data package.
- With our innovative Taryfy Multimedialne tariffs, we offered unlimited access to selected Internet content, including video, websites, and social networking sites.
- We introduced a new slogan – ‘Twój Multimedialny Dom’ (‘Your Multimedia Home’) – to be used in our brand communication, and new icons to identify the individual services.
- A new PVR HD 7000 set-top box joined the range of devices supporting reception of our television services. PVR HD 7000 comes with an in-built disc and offers the ‘record, stop, back’ functionality.
- Our pay-per-view service users had an opportunity to watch live coverage of the 23rd Martial Arts Confrontation Gala, featuring appearance by Mamed Khalidov, Melvin Manhoef, Michał Materla, Kendall Grove, Mariusz Pudzianowski, Sean McCorkle and others.
- During the Volleyball World League, working in collaboration with the Plus mobile networks operator, we organised Fanzones, where fans could gather to watch a game, meet members of the Polish national team, and learn about the operation and the possibilities offered by the LTE technology.
- Together with Plus, we became the official technology partners and fast LTE Internet providers to the Sopot TOPtrendy 2013 festival.
- In connection with the analogue terrestrial television switch-offs, we launched special promotional offers of our Mobile TV.
- Our viewers were offered the possibility of watching another spectacular sporting event – Moscow’s ‘No Retreat, No Surrender’ boxing meeting, featuring a fight between Krzysztof ‘Diablo’ Włodarczyk and Rakhim Chakhkiyev, in which the former fought to defend his WBC title. Live coverage of the event was made available through Cyfrowy Polsat’s and IPLA’s pay-per-view services.
- The IPLA online television introduced a new IPLA NetTV package, whose subscribers can watch live television programmes online.
- We launched ‘Otwarte Okno’, i.e. promotional free access to additional television and radio channels for users of the DVB-T set-top boxes.
- We signed an agreement with NBC Universal International Television Distribution, concerning distribution of blockbuster films as part of Cyfrowy Polsat’s and IPLA’s VOD services.
- We added to our offering Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 3G, a new seven-inch tablet, which provides access to mobile Internet, enables its users to access a rich multimedia base through default-installed IPLA, HBO GO and muzo applications, and makes it easier to reach a destination with its GPS application.
- We made a PLN 100m voluntary prepayment under a term loan facility contracted in 2011 to finance the purchase of Telewizja Polsat.
- Together with Filmbox and Antyradio, we launched another edition of the ’100 deckchairs and a screen’ summer open-air cinema project in Warsaw, Kraków, Katowice, and Jastarnia.
- We added AXN NOW, the latest SPT Networks offering, to the IPLA PREMIUM package.
- Our offering was extended with even more fighting sports content by including the FightKlub channel, which was also added to the IPLA Sport and IPLA Mix packages on the IPLA platform.
- We finalised Telewizja Polsat’s acquisition of Polskie Media, the broadcaster of TV4 and TV6 channels.
- Telewizja Polsat sold RS TV to EmiTel.
- Polsat Romans, a new channel for women, was launched.
- We offered access to the IPLA online TV on smartphones and tablets at a special price for the Plus network customers.
- We made another voluntary prepayment of PLN 100m under the term loan facility contracted in 2011 to finance the purchase of Telewizja Polsat.
- We offered a new promotion addressed to LTE Internet customers: Mini HD satellite TV package free of charge.
- We celebrated a jubilee of our set-top-box factory, with the five millionth unit produced at the facility and the fifth anniversary of the plant in Warsaw’s Targówek district.
- We provided live access to the 24th Martial Arts Confrontation Gala held at Atlas Arena in Łódź for users of our pay-per-view services available through the satellite platform and the IPLA TV. Two headlining acts of the evening featured the Olympic champion Paweł Nastula and Mariusz ‘Pudzian’ Pudzianowski.
- Our TV offering was modified – the popular Family Max HD package with an extra Film HD package was expanded to include a premium Cinemax HD package.
- We took part in the ‘Property Rights on the Internet. Polish and International experiences in Fighting TV Piracy’ conference organised by the SYGNAŁ Association of TV Programming Distributors.
- All of Cyfrowy Polsat subscribers were given an opportunity to watch the ‘Vikings’ series free of charge on the HISTORY channel of IPLA TV, the largest Polish Internet TV platform, one day before it premiered on traditional TV.
- Together with the Plus network, we prepared an attractive bundle of three services: Cyfrowy Polsat’s satellite TV, mobile services as part of Plus’ smartphone offer, and LTE Internet access from both providers.
- We announced the plan to establish the largest group on the media and telecommunications market in Poland by executing a conditional agreement to purchase a majority interest (83.3%) in Metelem Holding Company Limited, which indirectly controls Polkomtel Sp. z o.o., the Plus network operator, in exchange for Cyfrowy Polsat shares.
- We signed new long-term agreements with Eutelsat Communications to lease additional Hot Bird capacities and extend the lease of transponders.
- A new channel was added to the TV offering – Romance TV HD.
- We replaced the DVB-T decoders with HD ones, offering our customers an attractive satellite TV access option.
- We enabled access to pay content under the IPLA application through our set-top boxes.
- Telewizja Polsat acquired rights to broadcast Euro 2016 qualifications, Euro 2016 finals in France, and World Cup 2018 qualifications, thus securing four years of thrilling experience for football fans.
- We introduced an offering full of Christmas gifts – special bundles with TV and super-fast Internet access in the largest LTE network in Poland, half a year of TV free of charge, additional gift packages, laptops and tablets for PLN 0 for new subscribers, as well as LTE Internet, TV and smartphone bundles offered jointly with the Plus network.
- We expanded our portfolio with a new Kino Polska Muzyka channel.
- EBRD joined the conditional investment agreement for the purchase of shares in Metelem Company Holding Ltd. (Metelem) by Cyfrowy Polsat. In effect, EBRD acquired Cyfrowy Polsat shares and gained the status of its shareholder, while Cyfrowy Polsat acquired 100% of shares in Metelem, which controls Polkomtel, the Plus network operator.
- We provided IPLA viewers with access to a live broadcast of the 25th Martial Arts Confrontation Gala held at the Centennial Hall in Wrocław. The night’s headlining act was Mamed Khalidov and Ryuta Sakurai.
- We published a new version of the IPLA Android application at the Google Play Store, this time with video content available.